black & white photographs taken by Ursula Graham Bower between 1937 and 1946
|caption:||stone alley, South East of Hange|
Caption:This stone alley is about twenty yards in length, with a course like a reversed S. It runs across a spur, one end being on the lip of a steep, dry gully and the other on the edge of what seems to be an old pool, now dry. It's about 18 ins. to 2 feet wide at the bottom and about the same depth, and both sides are faced with undressed stones fitted together to present as smooth a face as possible. The Naga tradition is that it was formerly much higher and had either stone or timber walls and a thatched roof and that the daughters of the Siemi King (there is an ancient pre-Naga site much higher up the hill) used it so that they could draw water unobserved by the vulgar herd. This picture is looking across the alley, and Hange headman is standing on top of the far wall.
Caption:Looking into the alley.
Caption:Looking along the alley.
|seealso:||Betts, Village Organisation, p.123|