The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

manuscript - Christoph von Furer-Haimendorf, Naga diary four

caption: founding of village
medium: diaries
ethnicgroup: Konyak
location: Namsang Nachamkong (Namsang Machankong)
date: 17.3.1937
person: Furer-Haimendorf
date: 12.2.1937-31.3.1937
note: translated from german by Dr Ruth Barnes
person: School of Oriental and African Studies Library, London
seealso: notebook 7,p.71
text: The village was founded only seven years ago by men from Namsang and strangely enough the founding ceremony has not taken place so far but now it is to be performed in about a month (see notebook 7 p. 71). Two of the clans, Yinyong-hu and Metahu come originally from Wakching from the Angban. The Shanglonghu originates from Wanching, another clan is from Namsang and a fifth from the Ao village Mirinokpho. A man of the latter clans serves as the "first planter" and is the first to put up his field hut. The ancestors of these people had already lived in Namsang for a long time so they did not come directly from Wakching.