The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

manuscript Christoph von Furer-Haimendorf notebook three

caption: origins of Kongan and its clans
medium: notes
person: Lem-ang/ of Kongan
ethnicgroup: Konyak
location: Kongan
date: 21.8.1936
person: Furer-Haimendorf
date: 8.1936-6.1937
person: School of Oriental and African Studies Library, London
text: (144) Kongan:
text: Informant: Lem-ang, gaonbura of Kongan.
text: The oldest clans are Pung-long-hu, Laktu-hu and Au-niu-hu. Ying-nin-shang is the land from where the Kongan people came, then they stayed one year in Tangsa, from there those three clans migrated to Wanching. There they stayed only two years, from there they founded Kongan. There were first only the Kan-kai morung and the Lingba morung. Yong-wan and Tei-ang, both of Pung-long-hu were (145) apparently the village founders. Then came some immigrants from Tan-yang, a now abandoned site near the Wap-niu river. These people were led by Met-kung, of Metna clan. Then the Kan-kai morung built, the Yong-sha morung and the Ling-bai [&] the Ching-ha morung. After they had settled down in Kongan the following happened. They had made their settlement (146) on Wakching land. Therefore Wakching asked for tribute, as this was refused, Wakching killed half of the new settlers. The remaining men agreed to give Wakching the tusks of every elephant killed, a hind led of all game, and the tails of hornbill, then they said they even could have their "wives". This was only a phrase however to express their complete submission. Then Wakching gave them two Angs, of the clan of Pong-moi. There are still two Angs in Kongan. In each morung group one. (147) Even now at Ou-ling-bu and Ou-nie-bu Kongan gives one hind leg of a mithan (or if no mithan is killed of a pig) to the Ang of Wakching (Chinkak) and one to the Ang of the Balang morung (Dzem-ang), - to the latter because one of the Kongan Ang's is of Dzem-ang's family.