The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

manuscript - Christoph von Furer-Haimendorf, Naga notebook seven

caption: clans and customs
medium: notes
ethnicgroup: Konyak
location: Namsang Sumniching
date: 17.3.1937
person: Furer-Haimendorf
date: 23.9.1936-21.3.1937
refnum: School of Oriental and African Studies Library, London
text: (75) 17/3/1937 Namsang Sumniching
text: Clans:
(Shayanghu) now called Bishanghu from Wakching
Shungtokhu from Kamahu
Noklang from Ao land
Yangbenhu from Ao land
text: The clans are exogamous. All these clans lived in Namsang. The Namsang men came originally from Ang-de-luk (in Ao: Lungdeluk (Lungterok?) ) where they came out of a stone. Their last village before they built Namsang was Merankong. (76) The Namsang men say that in the old times they received tribute from the Aos.
text: The village between Tamlu and Chota Kanching was Chingmeiniu. It was destroyed by Ao men, by a combination of villages. The Chingmeinin men went to Tangsa, Yungya and Kamahu. Later they built Tamlu; sometime afterwards the men from Tanhai came; this was about 80 years ago. Rhaudzinghu is only another name of Tamlu, used in songs. It means "the village where all people wish to live" ie. the people of other villages.