The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

manuscript - H.H. Godwin-Austen, Journal of a Tour in Assam, 26th November 1872 to 15th April 1873

caption: Ihang valley; Kuki jooms
medium: tours
ethnicgroup: Tangkol
location: Leishan (Laisen) Ihang R.
date: 19.3.1873
person: Godwin-Austen/ H.H.
date: 26.11.1872-4.4.1873
person: Royal Geographical Society, London
text: 19th March
text: Marched early to go to Laisen. Ascended the hill immediately above camp which we found had been the site some years since of a very large Tankol village. 3 houses of same tribe lately built now occupied the spot. View fine from here up and down the I-hang. (In the valley of the Ihang, terraces of water worn stones extend on both sides of the valley about 10 feet between highest level & the 2nd which is now about 25 feet above the bed of the stream. They are well seen just at head of the old lake bed near entrance & in front of the gorge. The valley was once in a high state of cultivation. The old irrigation channels are still to be traced.) We plunged into forest soon after leaving it & got as far as as a Kuki joom where our Naga guide said he did not know the way. The Kuki wood cutters had decamped, but one of our fellows mounting into a tree like a monkey called to them & by dint of shouting & abuse, they came forward out of the forest & shewed the road on ahead, which passed through the new site of their village where only one or two houses were built as yet. Here we had some cold breakfast & thence on along the watershed. About 4 o/c we got as far as a stream with good water & as we got bad accounts of any in the Naga village high up on the ridge & it looked as if setting in for rain, we cleared away grass on a level bit of old cultivation & pitched camp. Later to remain in the place for some days.