The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

published - 'Report of the Survey Operations in the Naga Hills 1875-1876' by Lt. R.G. Woodthorpe

caption: Nankam to Tablung; bad weather prevents survey work
medium: tours
person: TullochOgle
location: Mongsenyimti (Boralangi) Ungri (Ungrurr) Lungkam (Nankam) Wanching (Tablung) Akhoia (Akoya) Chantongia (Santong) Yongyimsen (Lorian) Dikhu R. (Tzela R.) Tangsa Kamahu Molungyimchen (Deka Haimong) Kanching
date: 29.1.1876-6.2.1876
person: Woodthorpe/ R.G.
date: 1875-1876
text: 20. On the 29th we went into Boralangi, called by the Nagas Mongsemdi, containing about 200 houses, situated on a long bare ridge, and very strongly stockaded. We arrived early, but fog and rain prevented my doing any more work that day. Indeed, the weather was anything but favourable throughout our journey between Nankam and Tablung, and it was fortunate that we were merely putting up marks, and not necessarily observing. Of course, the topography suffered a little, as from the foggy and dull weather I was only enabled to get in the country immediately bordering our line of march, necessitating a little extra labour further on in the season. I may here mention that, out of the ten days occupied in marching from Nankam to Tablung, no less than seven were dark and misty, of which five were wet. On the 30th we halted at Boralangi, to enable me to do some work which the weather had prevented my doing the day before. In the evening I made a sketch of the headman, who protested that he did not want to be taken, that he should die in consequence, etc., etc., but who nevertheless all the time was arranging and rearranging his clothes and ornaments to appear to the best advantage. On the 31st, we moved camp to Ungrurr, pronounced, as only a Frenchmen (except the Nagas themselves) could pronounce it, as if spelt Ungrurr. We found excellent camping-ground in some open jhooms, sheltered from the cold wind and well supplied with good water. We arrived at midday, and I sent my coolies up at once to commence clearing the hill above. The cutting was finished, and the mark put up next day, and on the 2nd, passing through Akoya, Santong, and Lorian, which were all very friendly, we descended to the Tzela, a fine broad stream with deep pools; and early next morning ascended again steeply for 3,000 feet to Tangsa, the first village of naked Nagas we had seen this season. Here we were well received; and I left Colonel Tulloch with the camp near the village, while I went to put up a mark on a point half-way between Tangsa and Kamahu. The hill requiring very little clearing, the mark was up by 4 p.m. I saw in the morning that Mr. Ogle's mark was up at Deka Haimong, and before I left the hill in the afternoon I saw through the telescope that he was then putting up the mark at Kanching, and as he had arrived so far, I knew that his party had met with no opposition. We marched into Tablung on the 4th, and on the 6th were joined there by Messrs. Hinde and Ogle. I append Mr. Hinde's report of their tour (see Appendix B).