The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

published - 'Report of the Survey Operations in the Naga Hills 1875-1876' by Lt. R.G. Woodthorpe

caption: peace-offerings; to Kakenagami
medium: tours
location: Lukobomi (Lukobo) Letsami Keromichomi (Kerumechumi) Emilomi Sukomi (Sakomi) Keleki R. Kukiagami Satakahenogami Momi Hovekhenagami Lalamavu Mt. Kakenagami
date: 25.2.1876
person: Woodthorpe/ R.G.
date: 1875-1876
text: 35. The next day (25th) I started at dawn for the point, and succeeded in getting all my work done there by 2 p.m., when we moved camp to the site of Lukobo, where we intended to remain till the country around was a little more settled, and on the 26th I went out along the ridge to the south about nine miles, and was able to do a good deal of work. On the way through the forest, we met a few Nagas, who, after shouting something which we could not make out, disappeared. A little distance further on we found on a large fallen tree in the path an egg and some rice tied up in plantain-leaves - peace offerings. We got back to camp about 9 p.m., and I learned from Colonel Tulloch that seven villages had sent in deputations to sue for peace, bringing in rice, goats, etc. Goats seem to be very abundant in all the villages near the watershed. The next day also we halted, and I remained in camp to see the Nagas, who again flocked in in large numbers during the day, professing the utmost friendliness and bringing in further supplies. On the 28th we again resumed our march, and, passing through Letsami, went on to Kerumechumi. Here there was some altercation between the guides as to our road, and at length we were conducted down a newly-cut path, which apparently ran round under the village, saving us a steep climb. However, after pursuing it for about half-a-mile, we found ourselves stopped by jungle and tangled fences, out of which there was no possible exit. As it was late then, and we could not go searching about for a camping-ground, and as, moreover, this wretched attempt to turn us from our road could not be suffered to pass unnoticed, we took up our quarters at the upper end of the village, intimating to the Nagas that, had they shown us a proper road, we should have been four or five miles off by that time, and, further that we should remain at the village till they did show us a road. Two tall bamboos, decorated with fringes of bamboo-leaves, stuck up in the highest part of the village, just outside my tent, swaying about in the wind, kept up a noise like the creaking of cordage, which, with the flapping of my tent, for it was a wild night, was highly suggestive of being at sea. Early in the morning, several men came up and gave me all the information I wanted as to our best route, and took us along a steep though good path to Emilomi, where we were well received, and, passing on through Letsami and Sakomi, halted in a beautiful little spot on the banks of the River Keleki. The men at Sakomi were excessively friendly, bringing out large quantities of their rice-beer (freely-watered) for the coolies and others, and cheerfully carrying the native doctor, who had sprained his foot, down to the camp, a distance of some two-and-half miles. They came down again to us at dawn, and conducted us up to Kukiagami, whence we descended to a big stream, and again ascended steeply to Satakahenogami, and, passing through it, Momi, and Hovekhenagami, all of which received us well, we halted near the latter, whence, at daybreak, I proceeded to the peak Lalamavu, already visited by Mr. Ogle (see Appendix A). Colonel Tulloch took the camp to Kakenagami during the morning, and my work being all satisfactorily accomplished by nightfall, I joined him there.