The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

printed - tour diary of the Deputy Commissioner of the Naga Hills for the year 1870-1872 (John Butler) volume two

caption: report of trouble in the Naga Hills, and return to Samaguting
medium: tours
person: Scott/ David
location: Dimapur Samaguting
date: 26.3.1871-29.3.1871
person: Butler/ John
date: 22.11.1870-17.2.1873
note: inaccurate spelling in the original text
text: 26th March, Sunday. Having received a dak last night in which I got information that there was a report abroad that the Nagas were about to be troublesome, I determined upon returning sharp to Samuguting instead of going on through the Rengmah Hills, though I must confess I am rather disappointed at having to change my plans for a second time.
text: Made a forced march today straight into Solabor passing through Himoluguri enroute.
text: 27th March, Monday. Made another double march today and have encamped in the jungle on the banks of the Phatradisa which we only managed to reach just before sunset, having halted an hour at Tittiguri to get breakfast.
text: I was very much amused and interested over the camp fire last night at listening to an old man relating the history of his adventures among the Burmese by whom it appears he was carried off captive from Jorehaut in the days when David Scott was Consul in Assam. The old fellow who looks and must be over 60, seems to have a capital memory of his compulsory visit to Burmah and subsequent return to Assam via Calcutta, although it must have happened nearly 50 years ago, when as he states he was a mere lad about 16.
text: 28th March, Tuesday. Breakfasting at my old encamping ground at the Hulbheta. I pushed on today into Mohungdijooa and having had heavy rain last night, found portions of the road were rather sloppy.
text: 29th March, Wednesday. Leaving my men and baggage behind to come in quickly, I rode into Dimapur (26 miles) and not finding my pony as I had expected, then walked up to Samaguting (13 miles more) which I reached about 5 p.m. and was very glad to find there was no cause for any special alarms.