The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

published - extracts on Nagas from 'Assam Administration Report'

caption: formation of the Naga Hills district
caption: Historical Summary - The Hills Districts
caption: headquarters at Samaguting
medium: reports
person: Hopkinson/ Col.Beadon/ Sir Cecil
location: Samaguting Asalu Dhansiri R. Diyung R. (Doyong R.)
date: 1853
date: 1865
date: 1882
date: 1883
date: 1853-1865
text: 97. Raids continued to be numerous between 1853 and 1865, during which years 19 occurred, in which 232 British subject were killed, wounded, or carried off. In 1864 and 1865 the policy to be followed towards the Angami Nagas again came under review; and the concurrent opinion of the local officers, of the Commissioner, Colonel Hopkinson, and of the Lieutenant-Governor, Sir Cecil Beadon, was that it was necessary for the credit of our Administration to advance into the hills, "to re-assert our authority over the Nagas, and bring them under a system of administration suited to their circumstances, and gradually to reclaim them from habits of lawlessness to those of order and civilisation."
text: The Government of India in 1866 agreed to the proposal that a new district should be formed, with its head-quarters at Samaguting, Asalu being abolished as a sub-division and North Cachar being divided between the Khasi and Jaintia Hills, South Cachar, and Nowgong: that portion lying to the west of the Dhansiri, and the country on both banks of the Doyong forming, with the Angami Naga Hills, the new district. But they desired that the main object to be kept in view should be not to extend our rule into the interior, but to protect the lowlands from the incursion of the Nagas.