The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

published - extracts on Nagas from 'Assam Administration Report'

caption: re-establishment of the North-Cachar sub-division
caption: Historical Summary - The Hills Districts
medium: reports
person: Bayley/ Sir Steuart
location: Gunjong
date: 1880
date: 1882
date: 1883
text: 99. At the close of the Naga war of 1879-80, Sir Steuart Bayley recommended, and the Government of India approved, the re-establishment of the sub-divisional charge of North Cachar, where since 1866 no officer had been located, the hillmen being left, save for the rare cold-weather tours of the Deputy-Commissioner, entirely to themselves. The sub-division was opened in December 1880 and placed in charge of an Assistant-Superintendent of Police, who was stationed, for the dry-weather months only (the hills being very unhealthy in the rains), at Gunjong, in the centre of the tract, a point connected by easy hill paths with Nowgong to the north, Silchar to the south, and Jowai to the west: a bridle-path to Kohima, via the Kacha or Arung Naga country, has since been constructed.