The Nagas

Hill Peoples of Northeast India

Project Introduction The Naga Database

published - extracts on Nagas from 'Assam Administration Report'

caption: Nagas on the Sibsagar frontier
caption: Nagas on the Lakhimpur and Sibsagar Frontier
caption: Section 2. Relations with Tributary States and Frontier Affairs
caption: murder of Joboka chief
caption: Joboka - Banfera feud
medium: reports
person: Vangping/ of JobokaBarnes/ MrSeverin/ MrApang Raja/ of NakrangAngcha Saru Raja/ of Tablung
location: Joboka Tingalibam T.G. Sonari Nakrang Joboka Banfera Abhaypur R.F. (Abhaipur)
date: 1900
date: 1901
text: 57. During the year five visits of courtesy were paid by the chiefs of Mulung, Joboka, Bor Uthu, and Changnoi, and the usual presents were exchanged. Several inter-tribal feuds occurred beyond British territory among the Nagas living about the Sonari border. In June 1900, the chief of the Joboka 'chang' came down and reported that the Banferas were endeavouring to subjugate the people of Nakrang, who are claimed as dependants of Joboka. He also reported that a Banfera boy had been carried away by the Nakrangias, and that the Banferas had taken possession of the village of "Saru Utho" belonging to the Joboka confederacy.
text: On July 1st, 1900, the Joboka chief "Vangping" and three of his relations were murdered by his clan on account of individual acts of tyranny and oppression, and probably because his conduct as a ruler threatened to break up the Joboka confedearacy, and had already occasioned the secession of the village of "Saru Utho" to Banfera. This was followed by the flight of 25 Nagas - men, women and children - mostly the relations of the murdered chief, into British territory, pursued by the murderous Jobokas. The refugees fled through the jungle to Tingalibam tea garden, where they arrived on the 19th July at daylight. At about 8 a.m., bodies of armed Nagas appeared on the garden and demanded their surrender, which was refused, as the object undoubtedly was to murder them, the refugees saying that if they were not protected, they would resist to the last, and not allow themselves to be taken. The manager, Mr Severin, finding that affairs were getting awkward, and fearing that the refugees might be murdered after night-fall, and the factory attacked and looted, sent the runaway Nagas to Sonari outpost. The other Nagas remained on the garden all night and till 5 p.m. next day, but fortunately did nothing. On receipt of the news, Mr Barnes, then Deputy Commissioner of Sibsagar, despatched a guard of armed police from Sibsagar at once, and personally went to the spot. The Nagas concerned had the hardihood to deny all knowledge of the murder of the ill-fated chief and his relatives, and even denied that they had pursued the refugees into the Tingalibam tea garden, They, however admitted having come down in war paint. A fine of Re. 1 per house was imposed upon them for having come armed into British territory, and Rs. 138 were realised from them on the 21st October 1900, within the period of time fixed for payment. The refugee Nagas went away of their own accord and at their own risk to Kulung on the Jaipur side outside the Inner Line.
text: In December 1900, the disturbances between Banfera and Joboka and Nakrang - a village of about 40 houses subordinate to Joboka - revived. On 12th, 94 Nagas - men, women, and children - came down from Nakrang, and on the 18th, 43 Jobokas also appeared in Abhaipur mauza; and were disarmed, according to the usual practice, by the havildar of the Abhaipur guard. The Deputy Commissioner despatched a havildar with 10 policemen to bring the refugee Nagas to Sonari outpost. The Nakrang people, however, returned to the hills. The Joboka chief informed the Deputy Commissioner that the village of Nakrang was garrisoned by Joboka against Banfera by a guard of 10 men, who were regularly relieved, and that about a month ago, i.e., in November, the Banferas had waylaid and murdered a Nakrang lad and taken his head. From enquiries made, it appeared that the flight of the Nakrang refugees had no connection with the long-standing quarrel between Joboka and Banfera. Apang Raja, the petty chief of Nakrang, is a brother-in-law of the Joboka chief, who was murdered in July last, and apparently came down to the plains, because he was apprehensive of a similar fate. The Jobokas eventually also returned to the hills of their own accord.
text: on 6th February 1901, Angcha Saru, Raja of Tablung, applied for a guard of ten sepoys to check the progress of the feuds then going on between the Jaktung Nagas and his tribe. No interference was considered necessary, as the Nagas concerned belong to trans-Dikhu villages.